Iqa'at wa harakat: Rhythms and Dances of the Middle East and North Africa
Apr 22, 2012-Jun 03, 2012
Sundays, 3:00 pm
Teachers: Ramzi Edlibi
Sunday Afternoons 3-5pm
Semester: April 22-June 3, 2012
6 sessions: No class 5/20
Teacher Ramzi Edlibi introduces a different folk dance and rhythm in each class. This course will focus on polyrhythmic songs and their accompanying dances from various parts of the Middle East and North Africa, including 2 sessions on Debkeh and one session focusing on dances from each of the following countries: Yemen, Egypt, Iraq, and Morocco.
Sessions are open to students of all levels, both dancers and percussionists. Drop-ins welcome.
Group Instruction Pricing:
|4 classes||$75 ($18.75/class)|
|6 classes||$100 ($16.67/class)|
*Alwan members receive 10-15% discounts on lessons! Click here to learn more about membership options and view discount levels.
Group Instruction Policies
- *One trial class may be taken per student. If a student decides to enroll in a package of classes, the trial session will count as the first lesson of the package and its price will be deducted from the overall cost.
- Students enrolling in a single class or package of 4 may choose to attend any session throughout the semester.
- If a student decides to enroll in a package after taking one single trial class, the trial session will count as the first class of the package and its price will be deducted from the overall cost.
- Class(es) you're interested in taking
- Number of sessions in which you'd like to enroll
Make sure to mention if you are a member of Alwan - many of our membership levels receive 10-15% discounts on lessons! Click here to learn more about membership options and view discount.
**Students may drop in to class by paying the "single" class price of $20 cash or check made payable to the Alwan Foundation, but please check the website to confirm that class is meeting on the day you decide to attend, and, if possible, email to let us know when you plan to attend.
Please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions related to music/dance instruction at Alwan.
Ramzi Edlibi (dancer, choreographer, musician) began his study of Arab dance and ballet at an early age in Lebanon with Mrs. Jarrar and Mr. Caracalla, historic figures in the development of Lebanese dance for the stage. In addition to Edlibi’s formal training, social dances and music, such as debkah, were a part of everyday and night life.
Edlibi went on to perform dance with the leading vocalists and dance companies of the Arab World such as Fairuz, Sabah, Wadi Al-Safi and Caracalla Dance Theatre. He then traveled abroad to perform and teach,while civil war raged in Lebanon, learning other dance traditions along the way. Since establishing himself in the global city of New York, Eldibi has continued his dance career, researching and presenting dances and music of the world.
Edlibi is Artistic Director of Dance Around the World, an Arts in Education program that brings dance and music to public schools.
Join Our Mailing List:
- Iraqi Maqam: Repertoire and Variation with Amir ElSaffar (Spring 2014)
- Arabic Language Classes: Modern Arabic Language Level II (Spring Session 2014)
- (CLASS FULL) Arabic Language Classes: Modern Arabic Language Level I (Spring 2014) (CLOSED)
- (NOW OPEN) Modern Arabic Language Level I (Spring Session) NEW CLASS
- Arab Vocal Traditions with George Ziadeh (Spring 2014)
- Arab Rhythm & Percussion with Zafer Tawil (Spring 2014)
New York, NY 10004
(646) 732 3261
Alwan for the Arts is accessible to people with disabilities. Please call 646 732 3261 in advance, or, buzz at the door to arrange a ramp.
© 2014 Alwan for the Arts
Hosting donated by:Marefa.org, the Arabic Encyclopedia